4.15.2010

Photo of the Week: Bluebonnet Beauties

Well I guess you never do get caught up, do you? I feel like my life has been ever-so-slightly out of control since I bounced back from my surgery and recovery. Too much going on all the time! And no time to blog. So my attempts at "catching up" with our blog will be feeble at best, but here we go!

It's been over a month since my last post here and almost as long on my other blogs. Fortunately, today is 'Photo of the Week' day, and I do have some stunningly lovely pics to share!



These are just a handful of the dozens and dozens of pics we took at San Antonio Ranch in Helotes. I discovered their amazing field of bluebonnets while driving further out on Highway 16 a few weeks ago, and couldn't get it out of my mind. It's probably the largest field we've been to. The girls had a blast jumping and skipping through bluebonnets. (Thalia consciously tried not to trample any, Carys not so much.)

We haven't taken any proper bluebonnet photos since 2007 due to the lack of good wildflowers on the highways and byways recently. But this year did not disappoint! It's been so nice to drink in patches of bluebonnets as we drive around town each day, some large, some small. I also love seeing the random single bluebonnet proudly growing in the oddest of places. It's the solitary ones that seem the bluest of blue.

Bluebonnet season always reminds me of one of my favorite Indigo Girls songs, Southland in the Springtime. I've quoted it before, but here it is again, with the hope that everyone reading it gets to enjoy their own moment among the bluebonnets as well:

Maybe we'll make Texas by the morning
Light the bayou with our tail lights in the night
800 miles to El Paso from the state line
And we never have the money for the flight
I'm in the back seat sleepy from the travel
Played our hearts out all night long in New Orleans
I'm dirty from the diesel fumes, drinking coffee black
When the first breath of Texas comes in clean
And there's something 'bout the Southland in the springtime
Where the waters flow with confidence and reason
Though I miss her when I'm gone it won't ever be too long
Till I'm home again to spend my favorite season
When God made me born a Yankee he was teasin'
There's no place like home and none more pleasin'
Than the Southland in the springtime

Happy Spring, Y'all!

LAYOUT CREDITS:
Thalia: Layout: Creative Memories 'Just White Gallery' #7; Background: Bluebonnet photo by Melissa Tarun; Embellishments (some recolored): Creative Memories 'Digital Variety' kit, 'Disney Hannah Montana' kit, 'Beautiful Day' Additions kit; Fonts: Geometric Slabserif 703 Light BT by Bitstream Inc.

Carys: Layout: Creative Memories 'Just White Gallery' #14; Background: Bluebonnet photo by Melissa Tarun; Embellishments (some recolored): Creative Memories 'Earthy Serenity Overlays'' kit, 'Disney Hannah Montana' kit; Fonts: Geometric Slabserif 703 Light BT by Bitstream Inc.

No comments: