3.01.2010

FoodieLicious: Lasagna Soup

Today's recipe is what our family ate for dinner tonight! I loved this soup that my friend Amy made for us almost exactly a year ago when we visited her, asked for the recipe and have made it many, many times since then. It's a Paula Deen soup based on the yummy flavors of lasagna, and is just as much a comfort food as it's original counterpart. In the past twelve months, I've "made it my own" by adding my favorite vegetables and additional flavors. Some of the changes to the recipe were made by Amy, so she gets credit for tweaking as well. As is, the recipe is great, and with additions, the recipe is awesome!

Original Recipe: Paula Deen's Tastes Like Lasagna Soup
(from Food Network via my friend Amy)

Ingredients
1 pound ground chuck
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
2 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups broken lasagna noodles
1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
In a large Dutch oven, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well.

Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender.

Stir in Parmesan cheese.

Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.


My Notes: I have used ground beef, ground turkey and today, frozen pre-cooked meatballs cut into quarters. I have added yellow squash, mushrooms and spinach, which are all vegetables that have gone into my regular lasagna recipes. I have also used wide egg noodles, about half a package, instead of crumbled lasagna noodles. I think Paula would approve of the changes. Delish!

Pic from Paula Deen's website

No comments: