2.23.2010

FoodieLicious: Good Gravy!

The gravy boat I wish I had registered for at our wedding

Some things just taste better with gravy. Thalia and Carys have fallen in love with gravy after eating it at school on mashed potatoes and at restaurants with their chicken strips or turkey. So recently I decided to start making it at home. (Note: I did not grow up eating gravy.) I think I have perfected cream gravy in the eyes of my kids! I make a small amount, just enough for the four of us, and they are just so happy. It's such a thrill that they can get so excited about little things like . . . gravy.

Today's dinner was roasted chicken (courtesy of my Mom), salad and mashed potatoes with my good gravy! It takes very little time to make this gravy from scratch, which is a plus. Here is the recipe, which I've been tinkering with for a few weeks:

Good Cream Gravy

2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. powdered chicken stock base (I use a Kosher brand)
garlic salt, about 1/4 tsp.
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir in flour and garlic salt. Cook for about 2 minutes, to avoid that "raw flour" taste, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth.
  2. Whisk in the water and milk. Add stock. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
  3. Serve immediately.
Notes: You could also add freshly ground black pepper, but I don't because the girls don't like the "black stuff". You can use whole or skim milk, whatever you have.

No comments: